[ale] Home LAN Cabling Components?

Steve Long stl2 at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 7 10:02:36 EDT 2003

I looked at wireless too and I figured that with the advances in speed and
the constant price drops, it would be more cost effective and efficient to
wire my house than use wireless.

Plus, I have all kinds of 10BaseT and 100BaseT stuff already.  I would have
to buy wireless.

If the house was wired with Cat6 cable or 5e, it will support 1000BaseT
Gigabyte in the future.  If I wanted to sit on my porch and surf the net, I
can get a waterproof port (Industrial Ethernet) or a wireless bridge.  The
bridges cost less that the DSL routers.

I am moving to a new house at the end of this month and I will wire the
whole thing.

I remember seeing a TIVO hack that adds a network card to it for a digital
VCR.  Depending on where the hub is, wireless cannot stream video very well.