[ale] UPS software

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Thu Aug 7 08:43:39 EDT 2003

Powerchute has linux based software to monitor their UPS's (not sure if it will
work with other UPS's), and I believe that there was a package on Freshmeat a
couple of years ago (forgive me, but the name escapes me at the moment).  I used
it for 13 Linux boxes scattered across 6 UPS's, and it worked very well.  If I
can think of the name (of if I get a chance to look for it on FM), I'll post it.
 Maybe someone will beat me to it.

Quoting David Corbin <dcorbin at machturtle.com>:

> What is the best UPS monitoring software for Linux these days?  I don't
> require a lot, but one feature I would like is support for multiple servers
> connected to a single UPS, and shutting them all down if necessary.
>
> Let me ask another question about UPS auto-shutdown:
> This is the way I see a  normal setup (If I'm wrong, just tell me):
>
> Server connected to UPS.  When the battery gets lows, the server shuts itself
>
> down.  The Server is setup (BIOS) so that if power goes off, and then comes
> back on, it powers up again.
>
> If this is correct, then isn't there a window of time where the server might
>
> shutdown, and NOT come back up? (if the power comes back online before the
> battery finishes running out).
>
> Thanks
> David

Nathan J. Underwood