[ale] Home LAN Cabling Components?

Bruce Griffis griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 5 13:43:10 EDT 2003

> I purchased everthing at Home Depot
>
> $39.98/500' of cat-5
> they also had 100' roles when I did my basement.
> A crimper will run you about $50.  Try to borrow one.
> Same thing for a wire stripper, although a razor blade will probably
> work as all you need to do is strip the outer insulation from the cat-5.
> Pretty Leviton wall connectors will run about $6 each and the plates
> another $2 apiece or so.  You don't need a crimper for these.
> 10 cat-5 connectors will run about $5.  You need the crimper for these.
> Don't forget to buy a box of plastic clamps to hold all those wires in
> place in the attic or basement.

Looks like Home Depot is the ticket! Wireless does sound like a good idea, but
I telecommute and wireless is a cardinal sin for the company I work for. So
I'd need to do a combo of wired/wireless if I decided on 802.11b.

I went online and found the cable, faceplates, RJ45 connectors, and some handy
6 port panels. Think that would do the trick nicely. My plan is to drop 4 LAN
ports upstairs and 4 LAN ports downstairs. I'll put a 10/100 switch on each
floor, and simply run 2 cables between the switches (in case one gets cut).

Doing home-runs might be better for higher speeds (I'd be limited to 100Meg
between the switches with my planned setup) - but I like the simplicity of
cabling each floor individually.
Bruce