[ale] new laptop...

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Mon Aug 4 13:32:02 EDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 12:41:49PM -0400 Jonathan Rickman <jonathan at xcorps.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 02 August 2003 12:33, James P. Kinney III wrote:
>
> > I should have mentioned, I recently bought a pair of Thinkpads from
> > TigerDirect. They were refurbished PIII 700's. It the point where I ever
> > buy another brand new lapto, I will buy IBM.
>
> IBM also sells certified used Thinkpads at their web site.
> They have a fair selection of newer models at very reasonable
> prices. Most are eligible for a full warranty package.

I'm pretty well set on an IBM now, I think.  My last laptop
was/is a Thinkpad 701CS with that butterfly keyboard.  It still
works after 8 years of bump-n-go service.  The battery was gone
long ago, and the display blinks off if you doink the screen a
certain way, sometimes, but otherwise the thing just keeps
lumbering along without complaint.  It's still happily running
FreeBSD 4.5-Release.  No CD-Rom or anything; I have to mount an
exported CD-ROM from somewhere else on the net, but that's not a
problem.  I'm thinking about finding a wifi card for it and
turning it into a base station.  Anybody else here do that?

Oh, I like that little pointer thingey.  The only trouble with it
is that sometimes it gets stuck in one direction or another, and
your cursor migrates to the edge of the screen somewhere.  But
hey, after 8 years, I won't complain.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net