[ale] Preferred Paint program

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Aug 3 07:42:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 07:13, David Corbin wrote:

> I tried the Ctrl  while drawing to constrain it.  I'm sure that a book would
> help me, but what I'd rather have is a simpler, more intuitive tool. GIMP is
> very powerful, but not always obvious in it's use.  One of the things I do
> like about PSP, is that a layer can be "objects" like dia, etc. and they can
> be mixed with bitmap layers.

That is how the Gimp treats things as well. My wife started tinkering
with it a few weeks back as she wanted to change the color of a graphic
she had to match something else on the page. She has now mastered the
art of create new layer, add stuff to it, manipulate layer to position
stuff, save. She made an animated gif as was vary pleased with herself.

With "Groking the Gimp" available online, as well as the site "the
graphics muse" (sorry, I don't have the URL) who uses the Gimp and Linux
for everything, a bit of a learning curve and you'll have surpassed PSP.
Be sure to check out the add-on plugins. There are many that do some
amazing things. There are some drawing aids that help make the Gimp more
of an image creation tool as well.

There's always xfig (which I _still_ use to create diagrams for my
classes).

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part