[ale] Dominating the Linux Desktop

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Aug 2 13:31:45 EDT 2003

I guess I've always shied away from KDE because it's based on a platform
(Qt) that's not a community project....Trolltech has their for-$$ version
and their "free" version, but the development on the library itself is a
closed-shop deal (could be wrong here, but this has been my
understanding).

I've always been a big fan of gnome and still use it on the desktop, but
lately (really since gnome 2 came along) it's become a resource hog and
I'm growing more frustrated.  I may have to give KDE another look.

One thing I've always been impressed with regarding KDE is that the apps
are built around a well-integrated infrastructure.  Things for the most
part work when they're supposed to (i.e., you hit ctrl+c and then ctrl+v
and voila! you have a pasted string!), and the look and feel is very nice.
 If I could just get around the trolltech uneasiness I might be sold.  An
application built around psuedo-proprietary libs is one thing, but an
environment is totally different.  The environment is your view on the
entire world, from a computer perspective...

How does the Ale community weigh in on this issue?

FWIW, XFCE 4 is an *awesome* WM for gnome 2 and is light years faster than
Metacity...

John