[ale] still trying to figure it out

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Sat Aug 2 11:10:25 EDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 08:22:48AM -0400 Geoffrey The Esoteric <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> I did track the dns converstation via tcpdump.  In the case where I try
> to reach the site from the firewall, you see the dns request go out and
> the answer come back.  In the case of the request from the nat'd
> machine, you see the dns request go out, and the 'no name response
> return.

Doesn't this sound like the reply is getting filtered at your
firewall box?  The packet isn't accepted or rejected, it's just
denied or dropped, leaving the client in limbo.

You're so patient at reexplaining this stuff for me, I really
appreciate it.  Sorry I didn't get it straight the first time.  :-)

> It doesn't appear anything get's dropped, just different
> answers.  Weird...  Further, this is the only site I have this problem with.

This sounds like an honest-to-God scratch-your-head problem.  I
like it!  :-)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net