[ale] low end laser printer or high end ink jet?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Aug 2 02:21:27 EDT 2003

F. Grant Robertson wrote:
> I'm guessing you were looking at a "Phaser" model,

That would be correct.  I'm surprised they didn't have anything less pricey.

> I've worked a good
> with with the 860, and it's a nice printer.  I had some issues with
> consistency of paper placement (slipping the margins, etc.. makes it
> difficult to print something that doesn't have a bleed edge to
> compensate) but, all in all it's pretty neat. The supplies are a bit
> pricey though.
>
> Basicly it is a solid wax cake that is melted and sprayed? blot
> transfered? onto the paper. Works better than you think it might,
> although you can expect some bluring of a printed page if it is
> subjected to temperature+friction (say, if you were to print a
> brochure or something).

Referring to the solid ink reference?

> Also, if you don't print often, they take forever to warm up. They
> also smell vuagely like a crayon left on a hot stove, if you ever had
> one of those make your own hotwheels wax melting sets, then its a
> soft memory of childhood every time you print!

True, but the question is really of cost.  Inkjet cartridges are so
bloody expensive.  I've heard the laser is cheaper in the long run.

The warm up issue is a consideration though.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...