[ale] The cost of a free pc

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 2 01:12:37 EDT 2003

I helped out setting some PC's up at the church, and got an old one for my youngest son. Now I know why it was free. 16 Meg RAM, 100 Mhz processor, no mouse port (won't recognize my PS/2 mouse w/ serial adapter), old style AT keyboard adapter, no sound card, doesn't recognize the Ethernet adapter, can't find drivers for it, can't find brand-name on the Ethernet card. And no luck installing Mandrake. Just not gonna happen.

Think it's time to dust off the checkbook and get something from this millenium. If you guys are near Staples at Barrett Parkway/Dallas Highway intersection - they had some 4 port 10/100 Netgear switches marked down to $9.50. I snagged 2, and they work!