[ale] I thought linux was supposed to NOT SUCK!

GENE WILLIAMS GENE.WILLIAMS at tlc.state.tx.us
Fri Aug 1 14:58:39 EDT 2003

I am trying to finally leave the "World of Windows" but Windows seems to
have Linux beat in the Universe of midi. When I try to install Rosegarden or
other programs that use midi I get this error:

"/dev/midi: "device not found" Ironically, my soundcard is
configured and I can play midi (and other sound) files, just cannot receive
midi signals. I know the joystick/midi port on the card works. I tested it
with a joystick.

Questions:1. Can someone tell me what's missing?  2. How do I
configure the midi device from the command-line?3. If I approach a new
system, how could I determine if this system has the same
shortcoming? Here are some details of the system I am on
now: ##################lsmod
shows:snd-rawmidi
15584   0
[snd-mpu401-uart]snd-seq-device
4512   0
[snd-rawmidi]snd
40900   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0
snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi
snd-seq-device]##################/dev/sndstat does sho the line:Midi
devices:  NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG##################

Does anyone on this list know ( Suse 8.2 || linux + midi )  well
enough to point me in the right direction . . . . or is Linux just too
inferior in the midi Universe to compete with the World of
WIndows. Gene