[ale] Q: how to mount CF card in SanDisk USB reader

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Apr 29 14:37:50 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 02:31 pm, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> This is probably in ALE archives, but the search engine seems to be
> having indigestion. So far, this monkey at a typewriter has failed to
> produce any poetry, literature, or (in this case) photographs. I'm going
> in circles on this.
>
> I have a generic RH-7.3 box with 2 USB ports. A SanDisk CF reader is
> plugged into one. A formatted, partly filled CF from my camera is
> plugged into the reader. I am trying to mount the CF and find its
> contents, but don't succeed.

I'm not at my box right now, and it's mandrake, but I'm pretty sure that I
just do "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/cflash" which means "mount a windows
filesystem which is the first partition on my first scsi disk at the
directory /mnt/cflash".  Of course, I did "mkdir /mnt/cflash" first.

> If I do:
>  # mount -t usbdevfs usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb

That is definitely wrong.  usbdevfs is a kinda symbolic fislesystem that
creates usb devices on the fly inside /dev.

What I did to figure things out is "tail -f /var/log/messages" (as root),
then plug the sandisk drive into my usb port.  Then plug a CF card into
the slot.  You get a bunch of semi-cryptic messages that should give you
some clues as to where the devices got created.  It should show up as a
scsi disk.

Michael