[ale] Suse 8.1 & Nvidia drivers

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Apr 29 04:20:05 EDT 2003

That idea didn't work for me at all. :(
The suse & nvidia manuals imply that the new driver is not for suse 8.1.
When I used it, it detected that the driver was already there (I don't really
think it was). Next, there was not a pre-compiled driver for my kernel. It
compiled one, and said that the install was successful. I did not get a
splash screen and the driver in XF86Config was still "nv" instead of
"nvidia." I made that change manually, and it still didn't work. I also tried
to modify the Sax2 setting as instructed. Still not working.

I am hoping that Dow, or someone else who actually has the nvidia driver
working on Suse 8.1 with Tux Racer working will help me find out what magic
to use to get this to work. One thing that I noticed was the XF86Config
mentioned that I should 'not modify it by hand.' Perhaps that is the clue?

Drew

On Monday 28 April 2003 02:54 pm, Thomas Holmquist wrote:
> Use the new nVidia driver
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4363
>
> Dow Hurst wrote:
> > Drew,
> > To make sure that nvidia's drivers work, you have to totally switch
> > from the installed SuSE nv driver set.  I used the rpm drivers  from
> > nvidia and have Tux working fine under 8.1.  I'll check my
> > configuration and get back with you tonight.
> > Dow
> >
> > ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> >> Does anyone have Suse 8.1 working with the Nvidia drivers.
> >>
> >> 1. I have rtfmed, but get the government runaround - nvidia says use
> >> drivers from Suse. Suse says download drivers from Nvidia
> >>
> >> 2. I was able to untar and install 4191 drivers AND even get the
> >> Nvidia splash screen, but when I try to play TuxRacer, an error
> >> message says that 3D support is not enabled. Attempting to enable is
> >> futile. Moreover, the system is not stable (locks up completely like
> >> Win) and I just re-install.
> >>
> >> 3. I have never gotten nvidia rpm drivers to work, but have used tars
> >> on RH 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, 9.0 successfully. Used the same techniques with
> >> Suse unsuccessfully. There is no Suse support for drivers to date -
> >> and I do not have Suse 8.2 yet. (Besides, I LOVE 8.1 - except for
> >> this driver problem - and their funny directory tree).

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com