[ale] Slow Learner/Debian + Java

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 27 21:59:01 EDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 11:51:04PM -0400, Grady Harris wrote:
[snip]
> But then--I try to install jEdit. It brings in the gcj compiler, the gij
> libraries--nothing works!--apt-get remove jedit--it's gone, but they remain!

What exactly doesn't work?  jEdit, or java, or both?

If you use apt-get to install something that requires java, then apt-get
will install java.  And adjust your path.  Make sure you can still go to
a bash prompt, type "java -version", and get the Sun JVM.  If not,
adjust your path.

[snip]
> Like I said, I've played variations on this about four times, & I'm learning a
> great deal, but I would like to do something besides set up the environment,
> like, say, use it. Do any of y'all have a fairly straight-forward installation
> that runs J2SDK 1.4.*, jEdit, & even Eclipse on Debian? Where did you set your
> PATH? Did you set a classpath?

I set my java-related environment variables in /etc/profile, as you did.
I don't set a CLASSPATH.  For jEdit and Eclipse, you don't need to, as
they both have shell scripts which do that for you.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9