[ale] Fire Wire Video

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Apr 26 20:22:50 EDT 2003

Though I'm not much help with info on Linux apps for video (yet), I can tell
you that, due to the bandwidth and encoding involved, capture from a 1394
video camera or device will need to got to the hard drive as a DV stream.
>From there, you can process the material to mpeg 2 (DVD, VCD, etc.) or mpeg 4
(e.g. Quicktime framework).  With a good encoder on a reasonably fast
processor, encoding from DV stream down to DVD is currently about a 3 or 4 to
1 time process. There are stand alone real-time DVD recorders out there, but
without intensive compression processing the quality is heavily compromised.

A few bits of the puzzle, anyway...

peace
aaron