[ale] OOP in perl

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Fri Apr 25 10:50:58 EDT 2003

> All of the examples I've seen use hashes, I suspect it is a
> requirement.  At the risk of p*ssing off perl enthusiasts, IMHO, OOP
> perl is a bit of a hack.  The language wasn't designed to be OOP hence a
> hack.  Not to say it won't work and isn't efficient, but it "ain't"
> pretty.

Yes, all object data in perl5 has to be stored in a hash, mostly b/c perl5
doesn't /really/ have objects.

It is a hack.  Even Larry admits it's a horrid implementation.  perl6 is
setting up an oo structure at the design level and doing it "properly"
(for some variation of proper that i'm sure none of us agree on ;)

But perl6 isn't coming soon enough to be helpful to you right now :/  Yes,
it has to be in a hash, AFAIR, sorry.

--attriel