[ale] Vserver + Disti

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Wed Apr 23 13:25:02 EDT 2003

I can't help but recomend Trustix..  it was originally based on redhat, so it uses the anaconda installer. No fluff, no crap, no services enabled by default, automatic updates with swup. http://www.trustix.net/ It's also service/chkconfig based, so it's a snap to get up and running the way you want.

Remember though, there are no services enabled by default, so the first thing your going to want to do once it's installed is turn on ssh..  you will also need to add some user to the root group if you wish to su to root remotely.

The design philosiphy is extreme stability. New packages don't go in till they have seen reliable use somewhere else, etc.. So, unless it's absolutely necessarry to upgrade something to a newer version to fix a vulnerability, don't look for it in Trustix.. instead, a well tested version including security patches will be there. The only place this has been an issue for me is Php, as there has been a bit of progress around PEAR and some other syntax issues over the last year.  If you really need them, use the "beta" of Trustix 2.0, (it's actually called 1.8).  I'm currently running this on my development server and it has been just as solid as any previous version.. it just has some niceties like Php 4.2.3, and some other major updates.

Hope this helps, if not you, someone..  the world needs all the Trustix users it can get.

-G