[ale] printer support in router

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Apr 22 22:22:32 EDT 2003

I'm glad Michael brought this up. My D-Link 704p router includes a parallel
port and (supposedly) can work as a print server as well. I've considered
putting it to use so my daughter can print to the HP Laser from her Mandrake
box without another system having to be running. Sounds like this will be
trivial to set up, which is good because  the DLink  manual has only one
small but interesting note about the print server support:

"Please follow the traditional configuration procedure on UNIX platforms to
set up the print server of the DL-704p. The printer name is 'lp'."

I've had a few struggles with Linux and Printing and still don't feel like I
have a great handle on the process, so I was kind of avoiding the project.
Now I'm anxious to give this a shot!

peace
aaron