[ale] FTP from Windoze box and audio question

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at sciatl.com
Mon Apr 21 08:54:23 EDT 2003

....it's a 2-fer, today....

(BTW, I really think this list is great....I start feeling guilty when I can't
help someone else out, because of all the good help I've gotten from the list
members over the past few years....)

First, a question - I've been trying to set up things so my wife can ftp some of
her files over to my RedHat box, in prep for putting Cygqin on her machine, and
letting her do stuff remotely.  I appear to have FTP set up ok - xinetd and all
that.  I can ftp locally ok, but ftp from her box fails.  Now, I'm using the Run
menu option for the 'built-in' FTP on her machine, and I get the FTP SYN, but my
machine reports "Destination unreachable'.  However, ping works both directions.
  Any suggestions appreciated.

Second, a pure Linux problem.  I'm trying out Sphinx speech recognition, and I
cannot get the audio system to let me record anything.  I believe I was able to
pre-RH8, but all I get now is silence in the files, whether I use rec, the Gnome
sound tool, etc.  I've tried adjusting levels with aumix, and the Gnome level
tool.  I can play sound from CD, from ogg files, and when I am recording, I hear
the sounds on the speakers, but nothing gets to the disk.  I probably can work
my tests with .wav file from the Windoze box, but it's got me stumped.

TIA,

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
     posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.