[ale] OT: digital recorder/camera recommendation?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Apr 21 08:11:28 EDT 2003

Guys,

Think I posed this question a year or so ago...I'm sure a lot has changed
since then.

I have a baby arriving in June and am finally going to part with the $$ to
get a camcorder/camera.  If a combo is not the most cost effective, then I
might take a look at buying both separately.

I'm looking for something that won't require a second mortgage, takes good
video, will do stills at a reasonable megapixel, has some sort of memory
card expandability (SD or CF?), and last, but not least, is somewhat
friendly with Linux.

I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to cameras, so anything you
can provide to minimize my research time will be greatly appreciated (Doc
says there's a good possibility she'll be arriving early ;-)).

Thanks!

John