[ale] Modem and voice

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Apr 18 20:08:01 EDT 2003

Yes and no.

It's simple matter to call a script that will pipe a wav file through
the correct processors and finally out the modem port. It requires root
privileges and understanding of which modem filter to use.

Much documentation can be found on the main vgetty (google vgetty) page
along with some voice-mail apps that do similar stuff.

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 14:33, Jordi S. Bunster wrote:
> Suppose I have a linux supported, hardware voice capable modem (I do
> have one). I have used it with a microphone and speakers to make local
> calls.
>
> Now, how can I, from a cron job or something similar, play a wav/mp3/ogg
> file to a telephone? Is there any command line program that would dial
> to a modem and not drop the connection until told? So as to do:
>
> ogg123 hello.ogg | call 58585858585
>
> Any thoughts?
>
>  -- Jordi
http://www.localnetsolutions.com