[ale] Defeated by the offshoring of America....

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 15 08:35:16 EDT 2003

Chuck Huber <chuck at cehuber.org> writes:

> If all you're looking at is Form 1040, you're missing alot.  Form 1040
> only addresses the Federal Income Tax.  It does not address payroll
> taxes such as medicare and social security.  Social Insecurity alone
> accounts for 7.5% on a paycheck.  So now your 14.3% is up to 21.8%.
> By the time you add in the other payroll taxes, and state income taxes,
> you're probably sitting in the neighborhood of the high 30%'s - maybe
> somewhere around 38%.

Sorry, not 1040, I was looking at the W2. The 14% number came from
the ratio between gross income and total taxes appearing on the W2.
There's no state income tax in Texas, so that's pretty much the
whole ball of wax. I get the same number, incidentally, if I
compare gross income to the net that appeared on my pay stubs.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka