[ale] Defeated by the offshoring of America....

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Mon Apr 14 15:51:05 EDT 2003

Thus spake tfreeman at intel.digichem.net (tfreeman at intel.digichem.net):

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>

> > If you get a manager making very high in the 6/7 figures and 7 figure
> > bonus's who won't do a "just pay me $1.00 to save the jobs of the hard
> > workers this year" I'd question how much the high paid execs care about
> > the long term health of the company.
> >
> DING! For many (? the vast majority?) of publically held companies in this
> country employees are commodity widjets. Need some more? go to the supply
> room and activate a few. Too many? throw some out. Which makes the
> employee about as important to the company as a piece of paper.

My personal favorite.  I was at a company which hired a number of
"contractors" all were Indian with a nice thick accent.  After a short
period of time some questions arose...

Q1) How do we know this is the guy we actually interviewed via phone?
Q2) How can we keep them from doing a bait and switch on us in the
    future?

It seems that they interviewed a couple gentlemen as C/Java coders
remotely.  As it turns out the gents who showed up for work took about 2
weeks to prove that not only were they not the same guys they
interviewed but very woefully NOT qualified...  It got sorted out with
threats of lawsuits etc but by then the project was very far behind and
they were going to be paying a penalty to the customer.

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert at ipv6.rdlg.net	http://ipv6.rdlg.net