[ale] vote again for list setup, OBJECTION!

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Sat Apr 12 22:54:30 EDT 2003

1. Ok, even though the votes have consistantly shown to keep the list the way
it is (and thus agrees with my position). I object to the voting poll.

1. Whereas,
The default selection implies that the first selection should be clicked. This
is unfair to the poster position.

2. Whereas,
The poster postion is too close to the submit button, and the error of making
the mistake of accidently voting for poster is not only likely, but has
happened.

3. Whereas,
A vote must first be taken to determine if we agree (as a group) to allow this
voting process to be the final determination of the future of the ale list's
replying functionality.

4. Whereas,
The list is full of technically savvy system admins who can sway the vote
easily. Evidence showns that *this has already happened* with the new poll.
Moreover, admins generally have access to multiple IP addresses.

5. Whereas,
We have no way of deciding quarum of this group, outside painstakingly listed
the IP addresses of each member and verifying that a vote has only been made
from those IP addresses.

6. Whereas,
Little if any testing has been done to determine the accuracy of the poll.

7. Whereas,
The voting method that Geoffrey suggested (insofar as posting the opinions to
the list *again*) is far more accurate, reliable and available to ale
members.

8. Whereas,
The voting poll has ALREADY been used - because it was suspected to be FLAWED.
This gave rise to another vote. It was "flawed then, is now, and will be
forever - and it's flaws will have no end in accordance with the scriptures -
as set forth in earlier discussions on this list."

9. Whereas,
The system should require the voter to write his name by his vote, and this
data should be posted in a public place. Verification could be done on an
individual basis. Nonetheless, this proposed system could be exploited.

10. Votes for keeping the list the way it is greatly outnumbered votes to the
contrary. We took NO vote to determine if we all agreed that the votes were
invalid - taking into consideration that the system could be exploited both
ways. If the last tally was invalid - what will make the new tally binding?

Further affiant sayeth not,
Drew Brown

On Sat April 12 2003 21:11, Cade Thacker wrote:
> Ok, since you kids could not play nice on the playground by yourselves, I
> have put in a playground monitor. The new addresses are
>
> http://www.cade.org/ale/vote.php
> http://www.cade.org/ale/results.php
>
> Since I only have one IP address to test with, consider this thing beta,
> but I think it will work.
>
> Let the voting begin.
>
> BTW, if anybody wants the code I will be happy to give it to you, it is
> pretty rough but working.... I have not decided on a licence yet ;)
>
> --cade
>
> On Linux vs Windows

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com