[ale] ALE reply-to changes needed??

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Apr 12 16:10:19 EDT 2003

I really think the mailing list is absolutely correct as it is set up now.

When this point was discussed at very considerable length a few months ago
(back when the ALE server was changed over),  my sense was that a significant
majority of respondents to the thread favored having the default "reply to"
field point to the list.

I can also state with some certainty that this "reply to = list" behavior is
consinstent to the overwhelming majority of email lists one finds on the
internet, all the way back in the BBS fido days. The setting is certainly the
case on every one of my other 12 currently active mailing lists, which
includes 3 independent server ".org" lists, 2 commercial server lists,  2
privately hosted developer group lists and 5 lists hosted on yahoo.groups.

I'm wondering if we really need to rehash this topic again?? Posting a reply
to the sender instead of "reply to" is just a right click on the address with
most any GUI mail client  or, at worst, a second of editing the "To:" field
after opening a "reply to all". I'm recalling that there are even hot key
menu choices in Mutt and Pine to specifically open a reply to the sender, but
it has been a while...

More than my 0.02, I know, but since we've already invested so much in this
issue I'm  willing to hedge the investment. ;-)

peace
(after justice)
aaron