[ale] Wireless networking options?

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 07:29:50 EDT 2003

>From my last post that started the whole conversation. I

guess I should have responded with what my final choice
was.

I decided just to simply use a D-Link set-up on the B
series spec. D-Link is cheaper and faster than Linksys and
was clearly marked that it supported 256bit encryption.

All in all, it was almost a joke at how easy it was to
set-up. Before I even opened the boxes I read some of the
FAQ's on their website and read through all of the
instructions before hand. I think I had about 30 minutes in
installing/setting-up three devices. A PCI card for a
desktop, laptop card, and the router. In fact, I think I
spend more time filling out the rebate forms than what it
took me to install everything.

The only thing that was slightly disappointing is that with
a higher level of encryption you suffer on the bandwidth
due to overhead but it doesn't seem to be that bad of a
hit. If it ends up being a problem I still have 128, 64 bit
encryption levels to make use of.

Just my $0.02 :D

--- George Carless <kafka at antichri.st> wrote:
> Since this whole wireless thingamebob seems to be such a
> hot topic right
> now, here's a question for you all:
>
> I've just moved into my new apartment, and I'd prefer not
> to wire cat5
> everywhere.  I've about three or four machines I'd like
> to network up - my
> server, my Windows machine, my MAME arcade machine..
> maybe a pc in the
> kitchen for recipe browsing, if I decide to get *uber*
> geeky.  So, I
> figure that wireless is probably the best way to go.
>
> However, a quick look around indicates that most of the
> wireless hubs
> that're out there seem to be integrated dealies that do
> NAT etc.  I
> already have a perfectly good Linux machine doing all of
> that jazz, and I
> understand what it's doing reasonably well, so I'd prefer
> to avoid
> replacing it.
>
> So -- can anyone provide me with some guidance as to what
> I should be
> shopping for, if I just want to connect the machines
> together without
> doing anything too fancy?  My setup right now is pretty
> standard:
>
> Linux machine with eth0->cable and eth1->hub, providing
> ip masquerading/nat
> other machines with eth0->hub
>
> Any advice much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,