[ale] OT: pursuing spammers through the legal system

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Apr 10 23:30:25 EDT 2003

The same thing happens to ChangingLINKS all the time. When I first saw it
happened, I was alarmed. However, no one has yelled at me about this type of
spam.

I would strongly suggest you ignore it. By the time to get to court and track
down a particular individual, you will probably find 5 more emails from
different senders that do the same thing. Are you going to sue them all?

Further, once you "go after" a guy, you really never know how far HE is
willing to to go to defend himself, including but not limited to attacking
you physically once he gets your address from the court sessions. Sounds
strange, but just know that once you start a "fight" you have no control over
the tatics used to "win" by the other party. If the guy is a really hardcore
spammer (I know some) he may be a little more "colorful" than anticipate.

Moreover, I think that you greatly over-estimate the power of the legal
system. Getting a lawyer, building evidence, taking the time to serve the
individual, going to court for years - all takes away time and energy from
_your life_.

Even IF you were able to get a judgement against the individual, you will
probably have to collect, and more than likely, the amount you will be
collecting will *not* offset these costs of life (time spent) liberty (not
having to worry about the case) and the pursuit of happiness (doing something
productive and financially rewarding will probably bring you more cash in the
same amount of time).

      Your energy and time is better spent finishing your web site.

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com