[ale] DSL Router Distro

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 9 08:54:13 EDT 2003

Robert -

On 8 Apr 2003, Robert Heaven wrote:

> I agree... I have one... Unfortunately, my company laptop (IBM stinkpad
> with the company's customized Win2K) won't talk to it. All my other
> boxes (including the Win2k box I built for company access) and other
> co-workers laptops will talk to it. For some reason, this laptop just
> won't ping the router.

I'm assuming a LinkSys-type configuration here. Edit for your actual
brand.

Somehow 'ping' doesn't seem the best word. I suppose you mean you can't
open its IP with a web browser?

What protocol does the Win2k pad use to get onto the net? That's what your
router will have to use if you are using it to connect to the employer's
same LAN, so you need to find out. Then you'll probably have to rearrange
the 'pad's connection to match something convenient to get from the [say]
LinkSys (such as DHCP, for which you need know next to nothing about the
LAN). This is true whether you use an off-the-shelf or computer-based
router.

If you're using the 'pad' from [say] home through the router and sometimes
directly on the LAN, you may have to reconfigure the 'pad's network
connection differently depending on your access point (if the router can't
offer the same type login used for the employer's LAN).

LinkSys has all their manuals on line from their web site (and quite a
bit on-line from within the router), so you can browse or download the
PDF and look for the features you need, probably under 'advanced setup'.

Bottom Line: You need to know the type of LAN connection the 'pad' uses
now.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu