[ale] Applying patches

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Apr 8 09:00:30 EDT 2003

It's pretty easy.

cd to the top of the source tree to be patched. Then
"patch -p1 <../patchfile"  (that has been unzipped first)

There's a way to do it from the zipped patch as well:
gzcat ../patchfile.gz | patch -p1

Sometimes patch will whine about the -p number being wrong right from
the beginning. It depends on the process used to make the patch. If it
whines with a -p1, try a -p0. The number determines how many levels of
directory structure to strip off the beginning of file names.

It only gets fun when the patch doesn't apply cleanly.