[ale] [OT] How come I can't purchase this domain?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Sun Apr 6 23:54:10 EDT 2003

Well, I don't currently own the domain.  The whole domain "scene" ticks
me off so much because the consumer continually gets shafted in this
arena.  I "Backordered" a domain last year.  It expired.  Three months
later someone else got the domain, even though I "backordered" it
(backordering is having a registrar buy the domain via proxy for you
when it comes available).

Should I call the current registrar (not domain owner) and see if
they'll sell it to me?  I'm just afraid that they'll jack the price up
magnitudinally if I _request_ it; whereas if it goes on the "market" I
can pick it up for $8.95.

Is there any "trick of the trade" that I can use to force the current
registar to release it?  Should I call Go-Daddy (my preferred registar)
and tell them that it's expired and that I want to buy it, but can't
because the _other_ registrar hasn't released it?

What to do?

- -CB