[ale] Reboot problems

Dennis Herrick herrickd at huntingdon.edu
Sun Apr 6 17:42:43 EDT 2003

I've been running Mandrake 9 on a web server for a while (although I'm
still very much a newbie figuring out how various stuff in linux
works!!). Someone gave me a newer machine (Compaq Presario 7000) with
stuff my old box didn't have (1394, DVD player, CDR, Zip, etc)

I decided to put Mandrake 9.1 on this machine. Install went fine. Only
problem is the machine won't reboot. Using any reboot command just
brings up the red Compaq screen and it stops there for a LONG time. If I
wait 10 min or so, it MIGHT get to the Adaptec banner -- if so it stops
there. (I've never had patience to wait past this!!!)

I can ALWAYS power down and restart with no problem.

This machine was given to me with Win 98, but I didn't run it much with
that. While I can't particularly see this as a linux problem the
previous owner had no reboot problems.

Any suggestions?