[ale] Sandisk

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 5 00:57:24 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Mills" <johnmills at speakeasy.net>
To: ale at ale.org
To: <ale at ale.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: [ale] Sandisk

> Christopher, ALErs -
>
> On 26 Mar 2003, Christopher Fowler wrote:
>
> > Its nice to know that the Sandisk works under Linux.  I'm pulling
> > pictures off of it now.  I have a question in regards to making it
> > automountable.  I've tried a few tricks modifying autofs but, when I
> > insert my CF, I still have to manually mount.  Anyone have some pointers
> > for me?
>
> What Sandisk are you using? I have a model SDDR-05 without an eject
> button. This seems to mean it's not the SDDR-05a.
>
> I use it on an iMac and a M$Win98SE box. Instructions for the iMac have me
> drag the desktop icon to 'Trash' at which point I get a splash saying I
> may safely remove the card. Sandisk's FAQ suggests using the 'eject'
> command in M$Win to avoid corruption of files on the card when it is
> removed. Sandisk's web info identifies only the SDDR-31 and SDDR-33 as
> compatible with Linux
>
> Bottom line: anyone know if I can use this SDDR-05 safely with Linux, and
> are there precautions I should take before removing the card (i.e.,
> 'umount')?

Not sure about the SDDR-05 but I use a SDDR-75.  I treat it pretty much like
a floppy.
Mount it, write/read, unmount. Always unmount before removing media.  No
errors or belly aches. THe only problem I have is that it jumps to different
/dev/sd? .
It changes time to time because I also use another  usb mass storage device,
a hard drive.
I know I'm answering a question with a question, but is there a way to force
a mass storage device to use a specific device node?