[ale] OT [DSL Hell]

Joshua Kirk jlkirk at vt.edu
Fri Apr 4 18:58:05 EST 2003

Bill:

I would be more than happy to take a look at your DSL install, but
before you do that there are some things you can do to test it out
yourself. To do this easily there are a few requirements:

1. That you have an external Ethernet modem
2. That you have access to the NIB (Network Interface Box or Block,
where the phone service comes into your home)
3. That you are willing to "try some things out"

Most NIB's put on houses contain two sides, one marked for use by the
local wire monopoly (in Atlanta that would be Bellsouth) and the other
side marked for the home owner. In most cases the home owner side of the
NIB is actually very simple- just some regular phone jacks. If this is
the case on your NIB then you can simply plug the DSL Modem into the NIB
jacks and see if you get connectivity. If you do then the problem is
definitely your inside wiring- be it the DSL filter or something else.
If it does not then the problem is with either the ISP or Bellsouth and
a phone call (I recommend using a cell phone and conference calling if
needed) to both (as stated, at once works best) to let them know that
the modem does not work outside at the NIB and thus the problem is not
the much famed inside wiring.

I will say though, if even a small surge hit your phone line it is
completely reasonable for the filter to have been damaged. They do not
do well with line surges and frequently get damaged by even cross wiring
at the CO (Central Switch). You can get simple filters at Radio Shack,
or you can order them from Earthlink.

Hope this helps at least some!

-Joshua Kirk

PS: If you want to get help outside of the list feel free to email me
directly, as a former DSL installer I can probably walk you through most
things.