[ale] VNC

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Apr 3 09:03:40 EST 2003

Chris Fowler wrote:
> I've liked VNC and I've hated it.  Mostly due to speed.  It seems
> that even on 100Base-T it is still slow.  TightVNC has helped out
> a lot in fixing that problem.

The speed issues are primarily because M$ won't publish docs, so the vnc
folks are doing a lot of guessing.

> Anyway, it really should just be used as emergency access.  Anything
> else and the speed will get you.

I would disagree, I used it to access various windows servers over a
dialup when I was working remote for the AT&T HR organization.  It was
sufficient to accomplish whatever I needed to do.  I wouldn't try
running photoshop or something like that over it that way though.

What would be awesome is a RDP server
> in KDE of Gnome.  RDP is a better protocol and is faster. But, speed can
> also be affected with a poor implementation of RDP.
>
> Using VNC constantly starts out as a novelty then gets old really fast.

I would only use it as a necessity.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...