[ale] var/messages question

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 2 21:50:48 EST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 02:27:40PM -0500, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
> I spoke too soon.  I got another hub.  Same problem.
>
> [root at xena john]# /sbin/rmmod 3c59x
> 3c59x: Device or resource busy	<-------------------------------------??

This means either something is using the driver, preventing it from
being unloaded, or the driver has crashed.  If networking is still up,
that would prevent the module from unloading.  Try stopping the
networking first, usually with "/etc/init.d/networking stop".  Then do
an lsmod.  There should be a 0 in the "Used by" column next to the 3c59x
module.  If there's anything other than a 0, then either something is
still using it, or it has crashed, in which case you will need to
reboot.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9