[ale] OT: White flag drops and the fight continues

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 1 18:21:44 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 14:28, Bob Toxen wrote:

> Ok, how DO I configure X on my Slackware 8.1 system?  I don't know
> the card's specs and don't have the manual for the used IBM monitor
> (19", I think)?  (I do have recent Mandrake CDs around but no disk
> space to do a temporary Mandrake install to steal its X config file.)
>
> Since 95% of the systems I build are servers (where X never should be run),
> I'm weak in the X Department.
>
> TIA

Oddly enough, you can probably do a "cat /proc/pci" to find out about
your video card.  Thus:

  Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV15 (GeForce2 Pro)
(rev 163).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd6000000 [0xd6ffffff].
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd8000000 [0xdfffffff].

This is true, even though the card is actually an AGP card.  I guess
it's still on the PCI bus...  :-)

As for your monitor, you can prolly just do a google on the
brand/model.  I've got some pretty off-the wall monitors (a Hansol 900P,
a Gem, etc.- nothing really smacking of a big brand-name) and was able
to *very* quickly find the specs for each and every one of them on the
net, and hence the custom refresh rates for all of them.  I would guess
it took me all of 5-10 minutes per card to find 'em and set 'em up.

What I want to know is what people think of the Secure Linux distro?
It's supposedly kept patched with all the latest security fixes, and
incorporates a program simular to apt-get or rpm-find to allow you to
keep your fixes up-to-date.  Seems like that could save a lot of hassle
running around the net looking for all the various and sundry security
patches- and hence I'm contemplating replacing Slackware on my
firewall/server box with this flavor Linux.

Anybody here tried it?  Are it's security fixes as timely and quick (as
well as painless) as they're saying they are?  Does it live up to it's
name?

"Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my relatives were
carnival folk who were touring this place called Hiroshima in
the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair, they
mostly married each other.  And here I am"

                                                        (,,oBo,,)
 Wylde Bill                                               ||||

http://mrpooter.sytes.net
wyldechylde at geocities.com