[ale] Servlets Vs. Perl

Andrew Newton anewton at ecotroph.net
Mon Sep 30 18:37:14 EDT 2002

Here are some of my observations.  We have teams of web programmers, one
does Perl and the other does Java.  And I've done both myself, though it
isn't what I do now and I have to say that I have more experience on the
Java side.

*) The larger projects with larger teams seemed to go better under Java.
  However, the smaller stuff could always get done faster in Perl.

*) We've never worried much about security with the Java side of things.
  That's not to say it can't happen.  We've also found that architecting
multi-tiered systems (usually for security considerations) was easier
with RMI, CORBA, and things like mod_jk.  On the other hand, we've had
more than one incident where a bit of Perl code didn't get tainted and
somebody exploited it.

*) Some of the MVC stuff Java people try to layer on web apps is a pain
and doesn't really match the semi-stateless request/response nature of
the web.  Consider alternative Java tools such as Velocity.

-andy

cfowler wrote:
> I have a flame war I want to start.  I have been using perl to test some
> of my C code.  I see all the goodies that one can do with perl in a CGI
> environment.  What is the real benefit of perl over Java or Java over
> perl when it comes to web apps?  It seems like you can do much what Java
> can do in perl.
>
> Chris

 S/MIME Cryptographic Signature