[ale] Servlets Vs. Perl

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Mon Sep 30 14:00:11 EDT 2002

    Mike> 1) Javadocs: A great way to document your code and at
    Mike> the same time be able to provide a nice html formatted
    Mike> deliverable to your client. Very powerful.

        perldoc perlpod
        perldoc pod2html

    Mike> 2) Ant. Just set up a build file and all you have to do is
    Mike> run it to create your classes and publish everything to your
    Mike> web sever.

        With perl, there's not really any need since it's compiled on
the fly for you.  There are things for mod_perl such as
Apache::StatINC and Apache::Reload which handle keeping things up to
date in a development context, but for production environments you
really don't need them (or the overhead).

    Mike> 3) I find the object oriented nature of Java to better lend
    Mike> itself to code organization and code reuse, so I end up
    Mike> being more efficient.

        Get Damian Conway's _Object Oriented Perl_.

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
770 294-0820 (m)      |                                               U