[ale] "Cost" of raid?

Ryan Matteson matty91 at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 26 22:27:03 EDT 2002

If you do not have a hardware RAID controller, and your application does
a lot of I/O, look out. I have worked with SDS and VxVM (Sorry no Linux
VM) software RAID5 solutions. When a drive fails, each read requires the
Volume Manager to recreate the data from the parity and the existing
data (if the column in question contains data). To assess your
requirements, we would need more information on the application I/O
patterns, and whether the application was read or write happy.

- Ryan