[ale] OS Sound Editing Programs

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Sep 26 18:48:02 EDT 2002

Here's the top 2 Open Source and free sound progs I've been using after
some rather extensive searches and experimentation:

** audacity <http://audacity.sourceforge.net/>
Good multi channel / multi track mixing capability with interesting kind
of Timeline-Spline interface method for controlling mix volume. Fairly
stable.  Available for Linux and Mac OSeX.

**  wavesurfer <http://www.speech.kth.se/wavesurfer/>
Really intelegent interface for sound editing and effects. Several cool
visualization modes, too, like audio spectrographs. VERY stable with some
abilities to work with very large files directly on hard disk. Available
for Linux.