[ale] Keyboard problems with X?

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Wed Sep 25 14:00:35 EDT 2002

Why doesn't my keyboard work in X when it works everywhere else?

My keyboard worked fine with everything, until I turned the machine off
& moved it across the office. After that, it worked great in text mode,
but after "startx" the keyboard stopped talking to the machine. I could
still ssh(1) into the machine just fine, and I could run programs on it
to another X server. The mouse worked fine. This behavior was consistent
with two keyboards, both PS/2 socketed.

I'm running a RedHat 7.3 box with the XFree86-4.2.0-52 rpm installed.
It's got a GB of RAM, a bunch of room on a 35 GB harddrive.  The
XF86Config-4 file looks pretty vanilla in its InputDevice section; the
only thing different between mine and Charles's (which works on his
machine) is the "swapcaps" option.

(Posted for Michael Hirsch)