[ale] html

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Mon Sep 23 23:52:13 EDT 2002

That's easy: Separation of style from content.

HTML provides the content of the page, and CSS determines the style and
layout. Tables are a nasty hack when used to lay out a page, and are
horribly messy code with which to work. Older browsers all render tables
slightly differently, too. Granted, older browsers have nasty CSS support,
but that's what happens when you continue to write for an obsolete
platform.

HTML was designed as a language more for logical markup, and less for
physical layout. Structuring information isn't the same thing as designing
a look, and HTML is ill-suited for controlling features of presentation.
That's why a lot of content-styling tags are NOT actually part of the HTML
standard.

Tables were created for tabular information, not site layout.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:42:40 -0400