[ale] CSS

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Sep 19 10:59:33 EDT 2002

The W3C ( www.W3.org ) probably has some good resources on CSS. Also see
www.Zeldman.com , and Google-search "New York Public Library" "CSS" "Style".

Personally, I'm using CSS for a website project right now. I am, however,
still using HTML tables to delineate my page sections. CSS 2 alleviates the
need to do that, but most older browsers can't handle the CSS 2 box specs.
The NYPL Style Guide recommends using HTML tables with CSS for now.

As an example, this creates yellow borders on the top and left sides and
streches out any HTML tables using class="MainRegion" in its tag attribute
list:

table.MainRegion {
   width: 100%;
   border-style: solid;
   border-color: rgb(100%, 100%, 0);
   border-top-width: 3px;
   border-left-width: 3px;
   border-bottom-width: 0;
   border-right-width: 0;
}

table.MainRegion tr td {
   padding: 0;
}

And for funsies, /* comment out */ the padding attribute statement and see
how that changes your table.