[ale] more on RedHat's Null desktop -- vent mode!

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 17 16:02:17 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 03:03 pm, Stuffed Crust wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 09:44:36AM -0400, Jim wrote:
> > their crippled offerings of KDE in the past don't bode well for the
> > outcome of this. I'm planning a move to SuSe. The link is here:
>
> How have they "crippled" their KDE offerings?

I have in the past downloaded KDE rpm's from RedHat that were missing
important pieces, like the menu editor that should be in kdebase. How it got
removed is anybody's guess, but it had to take some effort, because that is
part of the source package.

> All of this hooplah is over a set of *themes*.  If you don't like 'em,
> it's perfectly straightforward to revert to the "classic" KDE or Gnome
> look and feel.  RedHat isn't aiming for the power user, they're aiming
> for the corporate desktop and cube drones that don't have an original
> thought in their heads.

If I were targeting the desktop user or "cube drone", I wouldn't give him a
system that willy-nilly forces him to load resources for two different
windowing environments and thus consume twice the memory. That user is going
to get poor performance without knowing why. RedHat is just trying to emulate
the behavior of its own most advanced users, who probably don't have to worry
about the RAM they consume. My bet is that they will end up pleasing nobody
with this strategy, least of all the cube drones, who just want something
that does the job predictably and quickly. RedHat would be better off by
choosing Gnome (a choice nearly complete anyway) and making it work as well
as they can. Instead, they are going to be offering a half-assed version of
each environment with their branding painted over them.