[ale] [OT]: Programming Best Practices

stephen stephen at phynp6.phy-astr.gsu.edu
Tue Sep 17 15:29:33 EDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:12:34PM -0500, Mike Lockhart wrote:
> Thanks guys.  A friend of mine also recommended "The Art of Computer
> Science" by Donald Knuth.  From what I've been able to find on it, it's
> a pretty high powered set of books.  Is this somthing I'd be better off
> waiting to get my hand on untill I get a lot better at coding? (if
> anyone here has used/read these books)

It's definately a good reference for fundamental algorithms and may
be a little bit of a learning curve but otherwise a must
have.  If you want a good beginners algorithm book, then I suggest
"Intro to Computing and Algorithms" bye Russell Shackelford.

> Additionally, I just got my hands on "The C Programming Language" by
> Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie (ISBN: 0-13-110362-8) from a guy here
> at work who had an extra copy.  Any other C book recommendations?

Another local favorite, "C Programming:  A Modern Approach" by KNKing.
http://knking.com

stephen