[ale] Re:

Bob's ALE Mail transam at cavu.com
Tue Sep 17 15:21:45 EDT 2002

I'll second:
"The Element of Programming Style", Kernighan & Plauger, ISBN
0-07-034207-5

 For C programmers transitioning from Unix or Windows to Linux, the
following is EXCELLENT:
Linux Application Development
Michael K. Johnson, Erik W. Troan 1998
This 5 star book and your C knowledge will allow you to write
applications that make full use of Linux, including file I/O,
interprocess
communication, signals, raw device I/O, and much more. I have been
programming in C on Unix for 25 years and Linux for five and it taught
me
valuable things!

I'm not that hot on "Code Complete" but many others have found it
valuable.

For those that REALLY want to learn the subtle art and exact science of
exactly what C does
(implementation details), see:
C: A Reference Manual
Harbison & Steele
Prentice Hall

I recommend the following too:

The Practice of Programming
Kernighan & Pike (two of the Bell Labs Unix guys)
Addison-Wesley

C Traps and Pitfalls
Koenig

The C Puzzle Book
Feuer
Prentice-Hall

Read these, study good (and bad C code), and write programs and you'll
learn C.  It helps to learn from
a Master but few have that option.

Bob Toxen