[ale] Recording from tape to cd

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Sep 16 12:31:41 EDT 2002

George Johnson wrote:
> Is there any application/utility for Linux that I can use that would allow
> me to burn music cd's from cassett tapes?  My guess is that I would have to
> record the item to wave file or something first.  I am currently running
> RH7.3, SuSE7.3 and Slackware 8.1.

I've done this with tapes as well as lps.  I do it all at the command
line though, just the kinda guy I am. :(  Well, I do use a graphical
mixer, gmix.

Anyway, I've got the tape2 out on my amp going into the line in on my
sound card.

On gmix, I select the record radio button associated with the line
input.  I then record with:

rec -s w -c 2 -r 44100 OUTPUT.wav

That generates the wav file I'll burn to the cd.  You'll need separate
wav files for each tune. You might want/need to adjust your gain on the
mixer, I've noticed the last disc I burned for my wife, which had a mix
of lp tunes and cd tunes had an obvious difference in level between the
cd tunes and the lp tunes.  My bad, but it's not enough that she want's
me to burn another. :)

I then burn my wav files to a cd as follows:

cdrecord -v speed=n dev=x,x,x -pad -audio *.wav

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net