[ale] Moving a Gentoo drive to a different machine

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Sep 16 08:28:36 EDT 2002

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  For reference, this is the way I found to
accomplish this with Gentoo (thanks to the guys at #gentoo on
irc.openprojects.net ;-)).

First, update CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and CHOST in /etc/make.conf to match your
new architecture.  You can also optionally change behavior for the new
arch with the USE variable.

Then, execute "emerge -eu world".  -e specifies an empty portage tree,
and causes portage to think that none of its dependencies have been
installed, forcing a recompile.

What should result is a new system, optimized for your current machine
(you'd have to recompile the kernel yourself).  In my case, I kept
running out of temporary space and said screw it.  Bought a new drive (I
was due for the upgrade) and considering my options.

John