[ale] resolver problems

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Sep 12 21:19:35 EDT 2002

Okay, I need some education here folks.  I have two machines on the same
network here at home.  One machine has two nics, one to permit me to
print to the home printer, another connected to the corporate vpn.  The
print machine is named 'print'.  The other machine is named tachyon.  In
tachyon's /etc/host file I have:

172.16.255.99 print print.home.edu

tachyon's fq name is tachyon.home.edu

/etc/resolv.conf on tachyon contains single entry to nameserver for my
corporate vpn.

I can ping 'print' from tachyon by using either the fq name or short
name (print print.home.edu)

cups uses http type approach to access printers.  I can access print
from tachyon with:

http://print/

but can not access it with http://print.home.edu/  it returns an error
from the proxy server on the vpn, which it should not be going to at all
for that request, so far as I can see.

Another machine on the same subnet can access 'print' either way.

/etc/host.conf contains:

order host,bind

So what gives?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net