[ale] Automated Phone Systems

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 11 15:13:49 EDT 2002

"Robert L. Harris" wrote:

> I need to hit an automated phone system for a project I'm working on.
> I just dial a number, wait 20 secs, hit option 2, option 4, enter some
> more info all from the dial pad.
>
> Is there a way to automate this from linux that anyone knows of?

Much to my regret, I have quite a bit of experience with this
kind of thing.

If *all* you need to do is send DTMF to the whatsit on the
other end of the phone line, then any Hayes-compatible modem
is your friend. Get a cheap one and send it "ATDT" commands
to dial the stuff you want, and set the connect timeout
high enough that it doesn't care that it never connects.
That's all easy to do.

HTH,

-- Joe

  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me