[ale] NTFS to FAT32

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Wed Sep 11 05:41:25 EDT 2002

Mark Walters wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that reading NTFS from my Redhat 7.3 system (not
> sure what distro you use)isn't
> compiled into the kernel by default. So if you want to read NTFS from
> linux you will most likely have to recompile the kernel unless your distro
> supports it by default.  If you can change the windows side to fat 16 or
> 32 then linux will have no problem reading and writing to that partition.
> Hope this helps

re: recompiling the kernel.

   You can get away with a bit less than this.  You don't have to actually install the new kernel, unless you want to.  Make sure the kernel source matches the running kernel.  Then just compile it, and compile the ntfs.o as a module, and then just copy the module up to /lib/modules/...., depmod -a, modprobe ntfs, and your off! (no reboot needed).

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith